- wxWidgets >= 2.8 library is required
- BOOST >= 1.40 is required
- SDL_mixer >= 1.2 (part of SDL) is required
- brain >= Homo sapiens is required
You can type
./configure && make
to see a list of compilation options. After Hoib is compiled, run
as root to install it.
If you don't find it there, just type in console:
Applications -> Science -> Hoib
hoib.conf. After first run the program this file should be generated in your main directory inside .hoib folder. To change font for example on 12 just add/edit this line:
Important: If you set too big font size than lines in lesson window will are wrapped.
If your national language is not supported right now by Hoib, you can change it. Just help translate interface or introduction. If you know good and free texts you can add them into Hoib texts. And finally, you can write course for your national language.
Hoib use gettext tool for internationalize, so translate interface into another language is very simple. All you need is poedit. If you got it, now you need file with texts to translate. Enter po directory it is in hoib source directory.Then type:
This command should generate hoib.pot file, needed by poedit. More instructions, how to translate, you can find on a main page poedit.
A bit complicated is translate introduction text. First, you have to create needed language directory and all files in it (see Hoib file structure for more information). After that just copy this file:
into new directory intro. And that is it. Now you can translate it.It is very simple html, because wxWidges "browser" don't support more complicated structures. language directory - where are stored files only for this language. All this directories you can find here:
Thay had a names like: en_GB, pl_PL. So, inside en_GB directory you find things for English language, inside pl_PL for Polish, etc. If you don't find you country directory, you can create it. The name of it you can find execute this command:
Each language directory have to contain:
- lessons - the directory, it contains all lessons,
- texts - the directory, it contains all texts and
- listtexts.txt - the file, it contains information about texts (authors, titles, lines, paths).
- dict.txt - the file, dictionary (not bigger than 150KB). Words are used for exercises and games,
- intro - the directory, it contains only one file index.html, which contains introduction,
It's only for this console session, after logout you return to default settings.
TODO language directory create the folder lessons. It contains lesson texts, descriptoin of each lessons. The most important file in this directory is lessons.txt. Example content of file:
Do you see the pattern? Each new lesson consists of 3 lines:
Lesson 1 - letters: F, J, D, K desc1.txt lesson1.txt Lesson 2 - letters: A, S, L and char ; desc2.txt lesson2.txt Lesson 3 - letters: G, H desc3.txt lesson3.txt
- title of lesson
- name of file with description of this lesson, just name not full path
- name of file witch contains text of lesson, just name
- Don't add empty lines into a file. Number of all lines should divide by three without remainder, if not - you made a mistake.
- Title is used in course list of lessons and showed in title of lesson window, so it should be short and plain.
- description file is just a plain text. It should contains information about new characters (expect revision text) and place of fingers on keyboard.
- file lesson ... contains test of lesson. Hoib breaks lines if they are too long so you don't have to watch on it. Good idea is not create one-long-word-without-spaces-which-takes-all-line. Don't use tab in your text lesson, but you can break lines. Don't type space after another space.
- remember which characters was used and be careful to not add not known letters.
- length of text - number - just information how many lines it contains. Important: check a file length by hoib: texts->my texts->add,
- author - string,
- title - string,
- name of file with text - string - only name with extension, but not full path.
Information about all texts is sorted by length. And thats it. dict.txt is stored in language directory (about Hoib file structure you can read here).
15 Bram Stoker Dracula Bram_Stoker-Dracula.txt